- For the marinade:
- 2 red chilli, chopped finely
- 75g ginger, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped (10g)
- Juice of 2 limes (or 3 small)
- 150g palm sugar (or castor sugar)
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup light soy sauce
- 1 star anise
- 1.5 kg Beef, Lamb or Pork ribs
- 1 stick cassia bark
- 2 star anise
- ½ teaspoon Sichuan pepper (whole)
- 6 whole cloves
- Small piece dried mandarin peel
- 3 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
For the marinade, combine all the marinade ingredients in a saucepan and simmer on the stove for 15 minutes or until nice and glossy. Set aside.
Place the ribs in a pan, cover them with cold water with the spices and peel. Turn the gas to low, bring to simmering point and cook for 1 hour or until meat is soft to the touch. Remove the ribs from the saucepan, place in a bowl, spread the marinade over the ribs and refrigerate for at least one hour.
Heat a roasting pan on top of the stove, add the oil then add the ribs with the marinade and place in the oven to roast for ½ hour at 160°celcius. Alternatively, cook for 7-10 minutes on a barbeque hot plate.