Chicken and Sweet Potato Rendang
- For the curry paste:
- 45g fresh red chilies, seeds removed (large size)
- 35g fresh or frozen galangal
- 25g fresh or frozen turmeric
- 25g lemongrass – use up to the purple rings only
- 6 macadamia nuts, used as a thickener
- 15 garlic, peeled
- 3 small dried chilies, seeds removed (optional)
- For the Rendang:
- 4 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 lemongrass, bruised
- 1 kg chicken pieces
- 150g red shallots, sliced
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk,
- 5 Kaffir lime leaves, sliced very finely
Roughly chop all of the curry paste ingredients, then using a blender, add 3/4 cup of water and blend until a fine consistency.
Heat the oil in a heavy based pan and add the curry paste and extra lemongrass. Sauté for at least 6 minutes, stirring all the while until the moisture has been cooked out and the paste is fragrant. The moisture bubbles around the edge will disappear and you will only see the oil bubbles in the paste.
Add the chicken and shallots and sauté for 6 minutes or until the meat turns white. Add the sweet potato, salt, sugar, coconut milk, 1 cup water and the lime leaves and simmer for a further 15 minutes with the lid on.
Check the seasoning and the thickness of the curry, you may need to remove the lid to allow the curry to thicken.
Serve with rice or roti bread.
The curry is even more delicious the next day... or the day after that!