Artichoke Arancini with Lemon Mayonnaise
- Makes approximately 16
- 3 tablespoons olive oil & 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 brown onion & 2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 200g Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 litres chicken stock, simmering
- 1 cup grated Grana Padano parmesan cheese
- 1 - 2 preserved artichokes, oil drained, sliced finely
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons parsley & fresh sage, chopped ﬁnely
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten (add 1/4 teaspoon salt and a little pepper)
- 3 1/2 cups breadcrumbs (Panko brand if you can get them)
- 2 litres vegetable oil for frying
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ﬂakey salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup grape seed oil
Heat the oil and butter in a risotto pan and sauté the onion anti garlic, season to taste. Add the rice and toast on high heat, stirring so as not to stick to the pan. Add the wine and simmer until the wine is absorbed. Add ladle of the stocks and continue to add the stock just as the rice absorbs the liquid.
When the rice is al dente and the texture is not too sloppy, remove from the heat, stir the parmesan through the rice anti spread on a tray to cool. Combine the artichokes amt lemon zest to the cooled rice anti stir well.
To assemble the arancini, place a heaped tablespoon of rice into the palm of your hand, pack it well and shape into a ball. Roll the rice ball ﬁrmly to insure it has no cracks and is nice and solid. Add the parsley to the beaten egg and the sage to the breadcrumbs. Gently dip the arancini into the egg then coat with the breadcrumbs. Deep fry the arancini for approximately 5 minutes turning gently after 3 minutes.
To make the mayonnaise beat the egg yolks, mustard, salt and lemon juice in a food processor for 1 minute. Mix the 2 oils together. While the food processor is on begin to add the oil to the egg mixture. Initially drip by drip, then slowly change to a slow drizzle. Don't rush the addition of the oil. Mix until the mayonnaise is of a thick consistency.
Katrina's Note: Serve the arancini with the lemon mayonnaise. You can vary the ingredients you add to the risotto base as you like to create your own ﬂavours in the arancini.