- Serves six
- 1 1/2 cups of water or vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon shao hsing wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or good vegetable oil, extra
- 3 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil or good vegetable oil, extra
- 2 tablespoons of grated ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- 1 medium onion, diced finely
- 1 medium carrot, diced finely
- 1/2 red capsicum, diced finely
- 1 small zuchinni, diced finely
- 50g shitake mushrooms, sliced finely
- 4 spring onions, sliced finely
- 1/2 small Chinese cabbage (wombok) sliced finely
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- A dash of Maggi seasoning (optional)
Bring the water or stock to the boil, add the rice, stir with a fork, cover the saucepan with a tight fitting lid and reduce the heat to a very low simmer so that the rice cooks using the absorption method. After 12 minutes check the rice, if need be add a little more liquid and cook a few more minutes. Set aside.
In a cup, combine the oyster sauce, sugar and shao hsing wine, stir and set aside.
Pour the oil in a wok and on low heat pour in a quarter of the egg mixture and swirl the pan around to make a thin pancake. Cook for one minute, flip the pancake and cook for a further minute. Remove the pancake to a plate and continue until all the egg is used. Roll all of these together and slice thinly.
Pour the extra oil in the wok and on medium to high heat, add the ginger and garlic. Sauté for 1/2 minute, stirring all the while. Add the onion and cook for 1 minute. Add the carrot, capsicum, zucchini and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring continually.
With the wok on medium heat, add the rice and the pancakes, stirring through the vegetables. Stir the oyster sauce mixture over the vegetables, mixing thoroughly. Add the spring onions and Chinese cabbage, cooking for 2 minutes longer then turn off the heat and pour over the sesame oil and Maggi seasoning if you are using it.
Katrina's Note: The trick to this dish is to have all your vegetables and sauce prepared so it is only a matter of adding the ingredients and stirring. If you prefer to have the flavour of meat in this dish, after you have added the onion, add 100 grams of finely diced bacon and cook for 1 minute.