Vegan Pear Cake
- For the dry mix:
- 230g spelt flour or gluten free plain flour
- 60g almond meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bi-carb of soda
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- For the wet mix:
- ¾ cup Bonsoy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 100g melted coconut oil
- 120g Rapadura sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- For the filling:
- 3 Josephine pears, sliced thinly - sometimes I substitute baked quince
- 20ml melted coconut oil, extra
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, extra
- For the crumble:
- 50g skinned and chopped hazelnuts
- 25g desiccated coconut 20g Rapadura sugar
Combine all of the dry ingredients and sift three times.
Combine the milk and the apple cider vinegar to create a buttermilk solution.
In a mixing bowl, whisk the coconut oil, sugar and orange juice for 2 minutes, add the milk and whisk for a further minute. Gradually add the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
Pour half the mixture into a greased and lined spring form tin. Gently combine the filling ingredients and lay half evenly over the cake mix. Pour the remaining cake mix on top then lay the remainder of the fruit evenly on top.
Combine crumble ingredients and sprinkle on top of the cake.
Cook in an oven preheated to 170°C for 50 minutes
Cool before removing from the tin and enjoy with fresh whipped coconut cream.