- 1 kg white fleshed fish, chopped roughly
- 300gm green prawns, shelled
- 5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 4 level teaspoons of Mae Ploy Thai green curry paste
- 25ml sweet soy
- 2 small eggs, beaten
- 20g palm sugar, chopped finely
- 5 Kaffir lime leaves, rib removed and julienned finely
- ½ cup green beans, (snake beans if you can find them), chopped finely
- Zest of 2 limes
- 1 cob of corn, kernels sliced finely
- ½ bunch coriander, chopped roughly
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil for frying
- For the salad:
- 1 small wombok cabbage or cos lettuce, sliced finely
- 2 cups bean shoots
- 1 large carrot & 1 Lebanese cucumber, julienned finely
- 1 small red onion, sliced finely
- Leaves from 1/2 bunch coriander
- Leaves from 3 sprigs of Thai basil
- 4 leaves Vietnamese mint, torn
- 1/2 cup of roasted, salted cashews, crushed roughly
- The dressing:
100ml Megachef fish sauce
100ml rice vinegar
100ml lime juice
60g palm sugar, chopped
2 red chili, seeds removed & chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 knob of ginger, grated finely
To make the fish cakes:
Place all the ingredients except the corn, coriander and oil in a food processor and pulse or whizz for 10-20 seconds until combined. The consistency needs to remain lumpy, not mushy. Add the corn and coriander and pulse for another 5 seconds..
Form the mixture into flat cakes – similar to pikelets. To prevent sticking, baste a little oil on your palm when you make the cakes.
To cook, heat a frying pan to medium, pour in the oil and shallow fry the cakes for 5 minutes or until golden brown, flip the cakes and fry the other side for 3 minutes then drain on absorbent paper.
To make the dressing:
Place the fish sauce, water, rice vinegar, lime juice and palm sugar in a saucepan, bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes to dissolve the sugar, remove from the heat and refrigerate to cool.
Place the chili, garlic and ginger in a blender with 1/2 cup water and whizz until completely blended.
Add to the cold vinegar/ fish sauce liquid,, stir thoroughly then refrigerate until required. The sauce lasts several weeks in the fridge.
For the salad:
Combine all ingredients gently and pour on the desired amount of dressing just before serving.