Spicy Pumpkin Soup
- 50ml olive or vegetable oil
- 250g chopped onion
- 200g chopped celery
- 20g ﬂaky salt
- 5g chopped fresh turmeric
- 20g chopped garlic
- 30g chopped ginger
- 2g shredded lime leaves – approx. 4
- 5g ground coriander seeds
- 25g Ayam brand Thai green curry paste
- 2kg peeled and de-seeded pumpkin
- 25g sugar
- 25g crispy fried shallots
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- 100ml coconut cream
- 1/4 bunch coriander leaves to garnish
Heat the oil in a stock pan to medium and add the onion, celery and salt. Sauté for 5 minutes or until transparent. Add the turmeric, garlic, ginger, lime leaves, coriander and the curry paste. Stir and sauté for 2-3 minutes so that all the ingredients release their ﬂavour.
Add the pumpkin, sugar, shallots and stock. Bring to simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
Blitz with a stick blender or similar, stir through the coconut cream and garnish with the coriander leaves. Serve warm.
Katrina’s note: This recipe is not over spicy so good for the family if you have young children. To increase the heat add a chopped red or green chili including seeds with the garlic and ginger and maybe increase the quantity of curry paste.