Katrina's Homemade Pizza
- For the dough:
- 1/2 cup luke-warm water
- 1½ teaspoon dry yeast or 15g fresh yeast
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup luke-warm water, extra
- 3 cups pizza flour or Double Zero flour
- 2 teaspoons flaky salt
- Extra flour and oil
- For the tomato coating:
- 250ml tomato pasatta
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, chopped finely
- Select toppings of your choice, some suggestions include:
- 300g mozzarella cheese, grated
150g tasty cheese, grated
- 200g salami or ham, sliced thinly and chopped
- 100g olives, pips removed
- 1 red capsicum, diced into 1cm cubes
- Roasted eggplant, diced
- 1 small jar Artichoke hearts, chopped
- 100g spinach, blanched and drained
- 1 small can of crushed pineapple drained
Make the dough by placing the water in a bowl and sprinkle the yeast and sugar over the water. Stir gently, and rest the yeast mixture in a warm place for 12-15 minutes until frothy and creamy. Add the oil and remaining water to the yeasty liquid.
Sift 1 cup of flour and the salt in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour the yeasty liquid mixture into this flour and stir until combined.
With a spoon initially, then by hand, gradually work in the remaining 2 cups of flour. (You may not need all of the flour). On a lightly floured surface, gently knead the dough for 5 minutes to develop the elasticity. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover the bowl with cling film and rest in a warm place for 2-3 hours until the dough has doubled in size.
Punch the dough down and portion the dough to the size of the pizzas you would like to make. Roll the portioned dough into balls and place on a lightly floured tray to rise again. On a lightly floured bench, roll out the dough quite thinly.
Next top the pizza. Spoon a couple of tablespoons of the tomato passata over the dough and sprinkle on the toppings of your choice.
Cook your Pizza in your oven according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If you have an electric Pizza oven it is important to sprinkle your pizza tray liberally with polenta grain so that your pizza slides onto the cooking plate.